My 5 Tips for Pet Odor:
- Nature’s Miracle Urine Destroyer works great for strong odors! It is meant for cat urine so trust me when I say this can get rid of any odor. Some products like this smell awful. This one though smells very fresh and does not have a harsh smell. Below are the 3 ways that I use this product.
- Use it when carpet cleaning. put a very small amount in carpet cleaner along with your regular cleaner. I use the detergent that I will talk about in a minute as my regular cleaner because it really gets the job done! This works great for any odors and stains in your carpet.
- Use a tiny (very small amount if in washer) when washing your dogs bed or blankets in the washing machine or sink. If your dog ends up peeing or vomiting on their bed this works great. Again I also you the detergent that I will talk about in a minute along with it. Yes, it is that great of a combo!!
- Combine this product with water in a spray bottle to dilute the product a little bit. This works great for cleaning your dog’s kennel or potty pad holder. It also works great if your pup ends up peeing or vomiting on your bed. We have all been there and it can be a pain! This spray will get the smell out of your mattress or mattress pad a lot easier than other methods. Nature’s Miracle Urine Destroyer – Cat Urine Enzyme Cleaner – Pour, 32 fl. oz.
- Nature’s Miracle Stain & Odor Remover is great for accidents on the carpet or bed. When my pup has an accident on my carpet or mattress I take a wash cloth and put some of this product on it. Then I put a little bit of water on the wash cloth and use it to wipe up the spot. This works great for pet owners that don’t have a carpet cleaner! It also works great on those hard to clean mattresses!Nature’s Miracle Just For Cats Stain And Odor Remover, Gallon (515804)
- Febreze Fabric Pet Odor Eliminator works great for odors on rugs or carpets and smells great! You can even spray it on furniture! I have found that odors can be a lot harder to get out of rugs. This is the best product to eliminate those hard to get odors in your rug leaving it smelling fresh.Febreze Fabric Refresher Pet Odor Eliminator Air Freshener (27 Fl Oz)
- Clorox wipes work very well when cleaning you potty pad holder. Just remove the used potty pad, wipe, wait a few seconds for it to dry, then replace the potty pad on top. Super easy! Clorox Disinfecting Wipes Value Pack, Bleach Free Cleaning Wipes, 3 Pack
- Oxi Clean Laundry Detergent High Def Clean is my favorite detergent!! I use it for my carpet as well as my laundry machine. It gets all of those hard to get odors out and leaves it smelling so fresh and clean! It is not a harsh or strong smelling like some detergents and odor eliminators. I love it! OxiClean High Def Sparkling Fresh Liquid Laundry Detergent, 60 oz.
My 3 Tips for Potty Pad Training:
- Use positive reinforcement: Every time your pup pees on their pad give them a treat. This will make them see the pad in a positive way and will encourage them to use it more. I recommend using training treats because they are small and low in calories. You may have to give them a treat quite frequently so you don’t want to use whole treats because this can give them a stomach ache and even cause diarrhea. No one wants that! Try to be consistent with giving them treats every time they go on the pad. Routine helps dogs a lot when it comes to training. I will list a few recommended options for training treats at the end if you need some suggestions!
- Show them what they are supposed to do: If your pup pees on the floor, first tell them no in a firm voice. This will tell them that something is wrong. Then pick them up and set them on their potty pad. Once you set them on their pad use a phase such as “potty here” to tell them what you are wanting them to do. Try to keep your phrase consistent so that they don’t get confused. Again, consistency is key when training your pup. If you notice the accident later on make sure to show your pup what they did and then set them on their pad so that they know what they did wrong.
- Get a potty pad holder: I have had great success with my dogs potty pad holder. The holder normally has a small lip on the sides which makes it slightly higher than the floor. I have found that this lip makes the dog think about going all the way on the pad. Before I got my pad holder I had a lot of trouble with my dog going half on the pad and half on the floor. Since getting my pad holder she has not missed a single time! It really can make a difference. The pad holder also helps control odor. Sometimes I would notice that even when my dog went all the way on the pad it would still make my floor smell. With the holder if there is any leakage it goes onto the plastic which is super easy to wipe down as opposed to constantly carpet cleaning.
*Bonus tip: Try to keep your pad in the same spot until they have the hang of it.
Potty pad holder I use:
This holder is made with plastic so it is very easy to clean. It doesn’t take up too much room and it even folds in half making it easy to travel with. This holder has made my life so much easier and I hope it can do the same for you!
Other highly rated pad holders:
Training treat recommendations:
Pet Botanics Training Rewards Treats, Bacon, 20-Ounce -These are the ones that I normally buy!
*Sometimes TJ Maxx has training treats on sale as well. Who doesn’t love an excuse to go there?!